Investment Firm Blockchain Capital Joins Libra Association
One of the oldest venture firms in crypto has joined the Libra Association and will provide expertise and guidance on the launch of its payment system.
One of the oldest investment firms in crypto has joined the governance organization behind the Facebook-backed Libra project.
- The Libra Association announced Friday that Blockchain Capital would advise on the creation of its global payment system.
- It would also make its network of experts and industry figures available for the Association's use, said Dante Disparte, Libra's head of policy and communications.
- Founded in 2013, Blockchain Capital has invested in over 80 industry companies, including Coinbase and Ripple.
- On Thursday, Libra Association announced it had hired James Emmet, the former CEO of international banking giant HSBC, to head its operating company.
- Since a number of big name departures from Libra in 2019 and early 2020 when firms including Mastercard, Visa, Ebay and Stripe decided not to stay with the project, Libra has slowly been adding new members.
- Crypto prime broker Tagomi, payment portal Checkout.com and Singapore state-owned Temasek have all become members this year.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.