Grayscale May Have Laid Groundwork for 5 More Potential Crypto Trusts
Trusts for chainlink, basic attention token, decentraland, livepeer and tezos were all recently registered in Delaware.
The world's largest digital asset manager, Grayscale Investments, looks to be preparing for possible launches of new single-asset trusts for a number of cryptocurrencies.
- Trusts for five digital assets were filed with Delaware's corporations registry on Dec. 18, 2020: chainlink, basic attention token, decentraland, livepeer and tezos.
- The filings were not made by Grayscale itself but by Delaware Trust Company, which is listed as the firm's "statutory trustee" for the U.S. state in Grayscale documentationhttps://grayscale.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/GBTC-Fact-Sheet-October-2019.pdf.
- "Grayscale is always looking for opportunities to offer products that meet investor demands. Occasionally, we will make reservation filings, though a filing does not mean we will bring a product to market. Grayscale has and will continue to announce when new products are made available to investors," the company told CoinDesk via email.
- As such, the filings could offer a hint of which crypto trusts are likely to be launched down the road.
- A registration for the Filecoin Trust was also made on Oct. 15, 2020.
- New York-based Grayscale is owned by Digital Currency Group, the parent company of CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.