Premier League soccer team Watford FC has signed a multiyear sponsorship deal with crypto sports betting platform and casino Stake.com.
- The company will become the team's principal shirt sponsor from the start of the 2021/22 season, which kicks off Aug. 14, according to an announcement Thursday.
- Terms of the deal were not disclosed, and Watford FC didn't respond to CoinDesk's request for more information by press time.
- Stake.com plans to commemorate the partnership with a 10 million DOGE ($1.9 million) giveaway on its international platform.
- The platform is also the official betting partner for mixed martial arts competition the Ultimate Fighting Championship in its Latin American and Asian markets.
- Stake.com is not available now to U.K. users, but it plans to change that in the near future with a partnership with gambling technology provider Aspire Global
- The partnership continues Watford's association with crypto-related firms, following its prior sponsorship deal Sportsbet.io.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.