Flipkart Co-Founder-Backed Navi Mutual Fund Files for Blockchain Fund in India
The filing comes after Invesco deferred the launch of a similar fund due to the regulatory uncertainty in the country.
Navi Mutual Fund, which is backed by Flipkart co-founder Sachin Bansal, summited a draft filing with Indian market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to list a blockchain fund.
- According to the filing, Navi Blockchain Index Fund of Fund will invest in other funds that are based on the Indxx Blockchain Index rather than investing directly in crypto or blockchain-based companies.
- The Indxx Blockchain Index tracks the performance of companies in emerging or developed economies that use or can benefit from blockchain technology.
- The filing comes after Invesco deferred the launch of its blockchain exchange-traded fund (ETF) in India last month, citing regulatory uncertainty
- The Indian government is set to introduce a crypto bill in parliament, which would reportedly ban most private cryptocurrencies in the country.
- Navi Mutual Fund is part of financial services company Navi Group, which was started by Bansal. He is also the co-founder of e-commerce company Flipkart, which is now owned by U.S. retail giant Walmart.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.