Anyswap Rebrands to Multichain, Raises $60M Led by Binance Labs
The cross-chain bridge builder will use the funds to research crypto algorithms.
Binance Labs, the crypto exchange’s venture capital and incubation arm, led a $60 million seed round in Multichain, formerly Anyswap.
- The cross-chain protocol counts over 300,000 users, according to a press release shared with CoinDesk.
- Public data shows the protocol has roughly $4.8 billion in total value locked.
- Multichain will use the funds to expand its ecosystem and team, particularly research on crypto algorithms, security and user service.
- Binance Smart Chain (BSC) is also putting its weight behind the protocol. It will promote Multichain as a recommended bridge for developers in the long term, the press release said.
- Sequoia China, IDG Capital, Three Arrows Capital, DeFiance Capital, Circle Ventures, Tron Foundation, Hypersphere Ventures, Primitive Ventures, Magic Ventures and HashKey also participated in the round.
- BSC gave Multichain and five other projects a $350,000 grant each in October 2020, as part of its accelerator program.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.