Crypto Unicorns, a leading non-fungible token (NFT) collection on the Polygon blockchain, has completed a $26 million token sale that included purchases from TCG and Backed VC. The sale comes as Crypto Unicorns prepares to launch a web-based play-to-earn game later this month.
- Other token sale purchasers included Acme Capital, Bitkraft Ventures, Delphi Digital, Infinity Ventures Crypto, Polygon Studios, CoinFund, BreederDAO and Emfarsis.
- Developed by San Francisco-based Laguna Games, the Crypto Unicorns game will combine unicorn and land NFTs in a digital pet collecting and farming game.
- The web-based game will go live later this month, followed by the launches of new mini-games, including Unicorn jousting, racing and battles.
- Funds raised from token sales are held in the treasury of the Crypto Unicorns decentralized autonomous organization (DAO). Participants in the sale will play a role in the DAO’s future governance decisions.
- “We've developed Crypto Unicorns from the start to be a community-run game and the completion of this token sale is a big step toward that,” Laguna Games CEO and co-founder Aron Beierschmitt said in a press release. “We want to move away from the extractive nature of free-to-play and nurture game economies that are owned by communities to embrace the core fundamentals of owning in-game items.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.