WVU Student Government Considers Blockchain Voting

West Virginia University’s Student Government Association is debating whether to use a blockchain-based voting platform for its upcoming election.

AccessTimeIconNov 25, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. UTC
Updated Sep 11, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. UTC
10 Years of Decentralizing the Future
May 29-31, 2024 - Austin, TexasThe biggest and most established global hub for everything crypto, blockchain and Web3.Register Now

West Virginia University’s (WVU) Student Government Association (SGA) is debating whether to use a blockchain-based voting platform for its upcoming elections, according to the college’s student-run newspaper, The Daily Athenauem.

The initiative, proposed by WVU students Ankur Kumar and Ricky Kirkendall, would allow students to use iPad apps to vote for Student Body President and Vice President, as opposed to traditional voting machines.

If implemented, the students argue, the plan would save the SGA anywhere from $5,000–$7,000, the difference between renting voting machines or purchasing iPads that can run the blockchain-enabled voting apps.

The SGA’s elections chair, Emma Harrison, was optimistic about the plan, but said she believes that the technology would need to be tested more widely before it is implemented.

Harrison told the news source:

"I don’t see it working for this SGA election since it’s so soon, but if it were approved it would probably go into place for the next Homecoming election."

Objections raised

Not everyone at the college is onboard with testing a new and emerging technology for the election, however.

One issue taken up by a campus advisor is the fact that Kumar and Kendall have created the app they want to implement, called SureVoting.

"I love the idea, I love the premise. But I find something a little unethical about someone who is going to vote in the election being responsible for the coding of the results of the election," SGA advisor Daniel Brewster told the newspaper.

Elsewhere, Kumar made the case for the plan by emphasizing the benefits of the blockchain’s immutable digital ledger.

"Votes that are entered in the blockchain can never be altered or deleted by us – the coders – or by a University administrator or by a student," Kumar said.

Representatives from the WVU SGA did not respond to requests for further comment as of press time.

Disclosure

Please note that our privacy policy, terms of use, cookies, and do not sell my personal information has been updated.

CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk employees, including journalists, may receive options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.

Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk's longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.