BCB Group Teams With Circle to Offer EU Institutions USDC Stablecoin Settlement
BCB Group will integrate with Circle's platform in a bid to make the USDC stablecoin more widely available.
BCB Group – a firm that provides financial services for cryptocurrency firms in the U.K. and European Union – has inked a deal to integrate with Circle's platform to make the USDC stablecoin available to institutional clients.
- Announced Thursday, the partnership will see BCB add elements of Circle's crypto finance platform in an attempt to improve the efficiency of payments, clearing and custody for business customers.
- The move means BCB's clients will gain access to USDC, the U.S. dollar-linked stablecoin launched by the CENTRE Consortium, which was founded by Circle and Coinbase in October 2018.
- USDC can help EU-based companies "mitigate negative risk" exposure by providing secure and efficient payments solutions, BCB said in a statement.
- According to Circle's co-founder and CEO, Jeremy Allaire, demand for dollar-pegged stablecoins is quickly growing and USDC would provide "critical" infrastructure for BCB's clients.
- USDC moved close to 1.1 billion coins in circulation in July 2020, according to CoinMarketCap, with numbers having sharply risen since late March.
- It still has a way to go to catch up on the most used stablecoin, tether (USDT), which now boasts a circulating supply close to 10 billion.
- Circle recently teamed with Genesis Trading in a $25 million deal also aimed at boosting adoption of USDC. Like CoinDesk, Genesis is a fully owned Digital Currency Group subsidiary.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.