Bitcoin’s Drop in Volatility May Boost Appeal, Make $130K Possible, JPMorgan Says: Report
The U.S. banking giant said the declining volatility of the cryptocurrency could boost its appeal to institutional investors.
JPMorgan issued a note Thursday that bitcoin could fetch a long-term price of $130,000 if its volatility continues to decline.
- According to JPMorgan, bitcoin is becoming more appealing to institutions seeking low-correlation assets that diversify portfolios, Business Insider reported Thursday.
- The U.S. investment bank noted that high volatility “acts as a headwind towards further institutional adoption.”
- The signs that bitcoin’s volatility is diminishing could see it “crowding out gold” as a portfolio diversifier and suggests a long-term price target of $130,000, JPMorgan’s note said.
- This target is based on the notion that bitcoin’s volatility will meet gold’s, which for the time being is still some way off. Bitcoin’s realized volatility in the last three months stood at 86% compared to 16% for gold.
- A separate JPMorgan report issued to ultra-high-net-worth clients in March played down the comparison between bitcoin and gold, arguing that the crypto’s “volatility characteristics and correlation profile refute the comparison to the traditional safe-haven asset.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.