U.K.-based digital bank Revolut is in “detailed talks” with SoftBank about a fundraising round that could value the firm at between $30 billion and $40 billion, according to a Sky News report.
- Revolut and its advisers have asked investors at SoftBank's Vision Fund 2 to submit proposals for an investment of $750 million to $1 billion with a deal expected to be “some weeks” away.
- Last month, Bloomberg reported that the firm was in the early stages of talks with investors about a deal that could see the six-year-old digital bank valued at more than $20 billion.
- While it was unknown who else Revolut was in talks with, the size of the proposed SoftBank investment would seem to indicate that only Tiger Global Management and Dragoneer Investment Group would have the wherewithal to make similar proposals, Sky News said.
- The SoftBank Vision Fund 2 has backed companies such as Uber Technologies as well as the buy-now-pay-later platform Klarna.
- Last week, Mercado Bitcoin, the largest bitcoin exchange in Brazil, raised $200 million in a Series B fundraising round from the SoftBank Latin America Fund.
- Revolut first began offering crypto trading in 2017.
Read more: Revolut Adds Dogecoin to Crypto Offering
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.