FTX Strikes Deal With Yield Guild Games to Sponsor Axie Infinity Players
The deal gives FTX lifetime naming rights to sponsor 137 players from developing countries.
Continuing its extensive marketing efforts in the sports and gaming world, cryptocurrency exchange FTX has signed a sponsorship deal with decentralized gaming startup Yield Guild Games (YGG) in which Axie Infinity players from developing countries will receive scholarship funds.
- The sponsor-a-scholar program gives FTX lifetime naming rights to sponsor 137 players from developing countries.
- YGG describes itself as a "play-to-earn gaming guild." It allows gamers to earn tokens through blockchain-based economies.
- Sponsorship funds will be provided to cover the cost of “breeding” Axies in the play-to-earn game “Axie Infinity”. Axies are yield-generating non-fungible token (NFT) battle pets required to play the game.
- YGG said it will loan the NFTs to new players who cannot afford to buy their own, under a revenue-sharing agreement.
- Players who have received the FTX scholarship represent 81 players from the Philippines, 25 from Indonesia, 10 from India, 15 from Latin America and six from Brazil.
- “As fans of both gaming and making a positive impact, we’re excited to partner with Yield Guild Games who have created a truly unique way for new audiences to gain exposure to crypto," said Sam Bankman-Fried, founder and CEO of FTX.
- FTX has signed a slew of sponsorship deals with a number of live and virtual sports leagues this year, including Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association’s Miami Heat.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.