Crypto exchange Upbit was the first to register with South Korea's Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) before a September deadline, the FIU website posted on Friday.
- Doh Gyu-sang, vice chairman of the Financial Services Commission, expects one or two more exchanges will register before the end of August, local media reported Friday.
- Authorities have threatened to block the websites of unregistered exchanges that fail to meet the Sept. 24 deadline.
- Registration has several requirements, including setting up partnerships with banks to obtain accounts for real-name verification.
- While other exchanges are reportedly having difficulty persuading banks to work with them, Upbit, South Korea's largest exchange, already has a partnership with online-first K-bank for real-name verification.
- Bithumb, Coinone and Korbit also have such partnerships, and so they likely will be the next ones to register.
- Foreign exchanges are also under the microscope. The FIU has called on them to register as well if they provide services to South Korean consumers.
- Binance limited its exposure to the market on Aug. 13, when it stopped offering trading pairs and payment options with the South Korean won.
- The FIU will review Upbit's filing within three months, local media reported.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.