Ethereum 2.0 ‘Dress Rehearsal’ Gets a Second Shot With Zinken Testnet
Developers will take a second whack at a final Ethereum 2.0 testnet after the first, Spadina, failed due to “critical peering issues.”
- The second testnet, named Zinken, will launch Oct. 12 at 12:00 UTC.
- Ryan said he is “primarily looking for a clean client release process and minimal headaches for users” with Zinken.
- The dress rehearsal testnets were created to give Ethereum stakers another practice run at moving ether (ETH) into the Eth 2.0 deposit contract, a necessary step before the new blockchain can start working.
- Spadina hit a snag due to “configuration parameters” with Prysmatic Labs’ Prysm client, the team said in a post-mortem.
- “We lagged behind in terms of taking Spadina seriously, having a detailed checklist, and overall having a release ready before the genesis event,” the team said.
- Ryan added the dress rehearsal’s load was tilted unfavorably toward Prysm, which took on the lion's share of the testnet’s users.
- The same issue – stakers picking Prysm over the four other available Eth 2.0 clients – also presented itself during August’s Medalla testnet.
CoinDesk’s invest: ethereum economy is a fully virtual event Oct. 14 exploring the ramifications for investors of the sweeping changes underway within the Ethereum ecosystem. Learn more.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.