Ripple Touts Role for XRP in Central Bank Digital Currency White Paper
The crypto asset could be used as a "neutral bridge" between different currencies, Ripple says.
Ripple has pitched the XRP cryptocurrency as a way to link different central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) in a new white paper.
- XRP, which is used in some of the company's payment products and Ripple helps develop, could be a "neutral bridge" between different currencies, bringing speed and efficiency to the process, according to the document titled, "The Future of CBDCs."
- The white paper, published this week, identifies cross-border payments with CBDCs as receiving little attention from central banks, which largely target domestic use cases.
- That's a "short-sighted" stance, according to Ripple, which says interoperable CBDCs could bring nations a competitive advantage, allowing commercial entities to make international trades.
- "Supporting immediate real-time foreign exchanges, as opposed to the current 3-5 day process will likely still require the need for prefunded currency accounts," the paper states.
- A neutral bridge currency would then be needed to support liquidity markets to allow for effective movement of value between different CBDCs.
- Ripple looks to be pitching itself to central banks researching and developing CBDCs amid its ongoing lawsuit with the U.S. Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC) over its allegedly illegal sales of XRP.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.