Latin American crypto exchange Bitso has named Thales Araújo de Freitas country manager of its Brazil operation, the company announced Monday.
- Before joining Bitso, Araujo de Freitas served as Brazil country manager at Global66, a Chile-based international money transfer platform. He previously held leadership roles at Citibank and HSBC.
- In the last six months, Bitso has doubled its user base in Brazil, Araújo de Freitas told CoinDesk in a written statement.
- Bitso plans to hire more people in Brazil and enable the purchase of soccer tickets with crypto there, Araújo de Freitas said.
- The company also offers Bitso Alpha, a professional trading platform, and Bitso Business for corporate users.
- The exchange has more than 4 million users in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Colombia, the company said.
- In August, Bitso hired Facebook veteran Vaughan Smith as its first chief operating officer to boost the company’s expansion in Brazil.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.