Blockchain startup Enigma filed a registration statement for its ENG token with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- The project's registration statement notes the ENG tokens are currently used as a payment tool on the project’s data network and shouldn’t be viewed as resembling traditional securities.
- “ENG tokens lack features of such securities, including the right to receive a dividend or distribution; ENG tokens also do not provide holders with any voting, liquidation or preemption rights,” the project’s registration statement notes.
- According to the filing, once the registration statement becomes effective Enigma would be subject to the Exchange Act, which means it would be required to file an annual 10-K, quarterly 10-Q and current 8-K reports.
- Enigma is one of the development companies working on the Secret Network. Earlier this week, "secret smart contracts" were also launched on the network's mainnet and the “Secret Network” is now focusing on scaling and building connections to public networks such as Ethereum and Cosmos Hub.
- The Secret Network also announced a partnership with, and investment from, Hashed, a blockchain firm in Asia. The investment is for an undisclosed amount.
Benjamin Powers contributed reporting.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.