Gemini, one of a handful cryptocurrency exchanges regulated in New York, has said users can now withdraw privacy coin zcash confidentially.
- The addition comes after Gemini received approval from the New York Department of Financial Services.
- The exchange claims it's the first time shielded zcash transactions have ever been supported on a regulated exchange.
- "[W]ith the right controls in place and the proper education, regulators can get comfortable with privacy-enabling cryptos," the blog post reads.
- “This announcement demonstrates that zcash is compatible with a robust AML/CFT regulatory regime,” Jack Gavigan, head of regulatory relations at the cryptocurrency's lead developer, Electric Coin Company, said in a statement, referring to anti-money laundering/combating the financing of terrorism.
- Gemini, which only supports 24 digital assets, first listed zcash back in 2018. It has been registered under a Limited Purpose Trust Charter – which authorizes it to perform certain bank-like functions – since 2015.
- Although users have been able to deposit zcash into Gemini with the shield feature, they have previously been forced to turn off privacy settings in order to withdraw assets from the platform.
- A Gemini spokesperson declined to provide further comment, pointing CoinDesk instead back to its blog post.
- Last year, several exchanges dropped zcash and other privacy coins, citing regulatory compliance and concerns over money laundering.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.