Standard Chartered, Northern Trust to Launch Crypto Custody Service in the UK
Zodia Custody is currently pending approval by the U.K.'s Financial Conduct Authority and is expected to launch in 2021.
Standard Chartered's fintech investment unit, SC Ventures, and Northern Trust are to launch a U.K.-based cryptocurrency custodian for institutional clients.
- Called Zodia Custody, the new firm is currently pending approval by the U.K.'s Financial Conduct Authority under local money laundering regulations.
- Once approved, the new company will provide custody services for bitcoin and ethereum, initially, with litecoin, bitcoin cash and XRP to follow.
- These cryptocurrencies were chosen as they account for around 80% of the total assets traded on major cryptocurrency exchanges, according to a Wednesday announcement.
- "We combine the risk management, compliance, governance and security approach of a regulated financial institution with the cutting-edge innovation of crypto asset and key management technologies," said Maxime De Guillebon, Zodia CEO.
- Singapore-based SC Ventures said the launch anticipates greater participation from institutional investors, who so far account for just 9% of crypto asset investments.
- The custody platform will target institutional cryptocurrency holders, as well as family offices and asset managers who want to invest in cryptocurrencies.
- Zodia is expected to begin operating in London in 2021.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.