Tiny Capital's Wilkinson Shows Interest in Bitcoin
Wilkinson's tweeted inquiry started a lively debate on the merits of the most valuable cryptocurrency.
Andrew Wilkinson, the multimillionaire co-founder of tech-focused holding group Tiny Capital, ignited a small firestorm on Twitter Saturday merely by inquiring about bitcoin.
- Of course, asking a simple question doesn't mean that Wilkinson, who has been described as the Warren Buffett of startups, will ever buy a single bitcoin or even a blockchain-related startup, but it was enough to make CoinDesk Director of Research Noelle Acheson say, "Wow!"
- It also started a flood of responses on Twitter mostly seeking to convince Wilkinson that bitcoin is the future of finance and a better version of gold.
- It's somewhat reminiscent, albeit on a smaller scale, of the hoopla created with billionaire investor Ray Dalio, a long-time bitcoin skeptic, took to Twitter saying he'd "love to be corrected" on his negative views on the cryptocurrency.
- On Monday, Wilkinson's company, WeCommerce Holdings Ltd., which starts and invests in firms that service Shopify's platform, will list its shares on the TSX Venture Exchange. Billionaire Bill Ackman is also an investor in WeCommerce.
- Given how Wilkinson is known to act quickly, buying companies in days rather the typical months, it's worth keeping an eye out to see what he might do should he be convinced that it's logical to buy bitcoin.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.