Visa has partnered with fintech startup Tala to drive crypto adoption for underbanked customers in emerging markets.
- Collaborating with USDC operator Circle and the Stellar Development Foundation, Tala will provide access to USDC via its digital wallet.
- Visa’s involvement will give Tala the ability to issue payment cards linked to the wallet.
- Tala is a California-based startup that says it has provided over $2 billion in credit to over 6 million customers in countries such as Mexico, the Philippines, Kenya and India in the form of micro-loans.
- The company has raised over $200 million in funding, including a $110 million Series D in August 2019, with PayPal among its backers.
- Visa confirmed the partnership when contacted by CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.