$1.11

24H %

5.90%

24H Low

$1.03

24H High

$1.12
DownloadIcon
TO

Linear
Log

About Serum

Sector

N/A


Industry Group

N/A


Industry

N/A



SRM is the native token of Serum, a decentralized exchange based on the Solana blockchain.

SRM price

Serum launched in August 2020, trading at $1.70. Aside from a brief spurt to $3.60 in early September, SRM bumbled along at about $1.20 until 2021. When bitcoin rose to its first high of the year in the second quarter, SRM hit highs of $11.73. When BTC crashed, so did SRM, which fell to $2.46 in July 2021.

SRM’s all-time high of $13.72 on Sept. 11, 2021 preceded BTC’s all-time high by about two months; it’s a similar story for most decentralized finance (DeFi) coins. And, like most of DeFi, SRM crashed hard going into 2022. By June, it had fallen to lows of 94 cents.

Serum’s total-value locked (TVL) peaked at $1.88 billion in early November 2021, just as crypto’s market cap hit an all-time high. Serum’s TVL crashed along with its price. At the start of June 2022, Serum’s TVL had fallen to just $288 million.

SRM has a fixed, capped supply of 10,161,000,000. It released 10% of these at launch. The rest will be released linearly until August 2027. Contributors and early investors, whose tokens are subject to lockups, will receive 46% of the supply. The remaining 54% will be used to incentivize activity on Serum and collaborate with other protocols.

Each week, Serum burns SRM equivalent to four-fifths of the exchange’s revenue, and gives the rest to SRM stakers.

How does Serum work?

Serum is a decentralized exchange based on the Solana blockchain. Rather than relying on the automated market maker model made popular by Uniswap and Curve, which facilitates token swaps from huge reserves of tokens called liquidity pools, Serum relies on an order book.

Order books match buyers with sellers. Place an order to sell $10 worth of SOL for USDC and Serum will pair the trade with someone who wants to buy $10 worth of SOL for USDC. Centralized crypto exchanges, like FTX and Binance, operate this way.

This model doesn’t work so well on the Ethereum blockchain, where a single trade can easily cost $100 in times of network congestion. Solana is cheaper; trades on Serum cost $0.00002 in gas.

SRM is Serum’s governance token. It also entitled holders to reduced trading fees on Serum, and those that stakes SRM on Serum also receive 20% of fees on the platform.

The protocol also has a second token, megaSerum (MSRM), that is required to run a staking node on Serum. It entitles holders to increased rewards and is created by locking up 1 million SRM tokens.

Serum key events and governance

Serum was created by the Serum Foundation. Among its most notable members are crypto trading firm Alameda Research and crypto exchange FTX. Both were founded by multi-billionaire Sam Bankman-Fried, a major Solana investor.

Serum raised $20 million in a private seed round and $660,000 in two token sales on FTX and BitMax.

While Serum is native to Solana, SRM also trades as an ERC-20 token on Ethereum. Serum integrated with Solana’s cross-chain bridge, Wormhole. In November 2019, Serum partnered with Raydium to provide additional liquidity to the hybrid decentralized exchange (DEX).


Serum Market Cap

$289.82M

Serum 24H Volume

$84.95M


Serum Price

24H Open
$1.05
24H Change
$0.061838
52 Week Low
$0.728217
52 Week High
$13.78
All Time High
$13.78
Returns (YTD)
-68.24%

Serum Market Stats

Total Supply
261.00M
Max Supply
10.16B
24H Value Transacted
$61.92M
30D Volatility
0.799052
24H Transaction Count
119
24H Average Transaction Fee
N/A

About Serum

Sector

N/A


Industry Group

N/A


Industry

N/A



SRM is the native token of Serum, a decentralized exchange based on the Solana blockchain.

SRM price

Serum launched in August 2020, trading at $1.70. Aside from a brief spurt to $3.60 in early September, SRM bumbled along at about $1.20 until 2021. When bitcoin rose to its first high of the year in the second quarter, SRM hit highs of $11.73. When BTC crashed, so did SRM, which fell to $2.46 in July 2021.

SRM’s all-time high of $13.72 on Sept. 11, 2021 preceded BTC’s all-time high by about two months; it’s a similar story for most decentralized finance (DeFi) coins. And, like most of DeFi, SRM crashed hard going into 2022. By June, it had fallen to lows of 94 cents.

Serum’s total-value locked (TVL) peaked at $1.88 billion in early November 2021, just as crypto’s market cap hit an all-time high. Serum’s TVL crashed along with its price. At the start of June 2022, Serum’s TVL had fallen to just $288 million.

SRM has a fixed, capped supply of 10,161,000,000. It released 10% of these at launch. The rest will be released linearly until August 2027. Contributors and early investors, whose tokens are subject to lockups, will receive 46% of the supply. The remaining 54% will be used to incentivize activity on Serum and collaborate with other protocols.

Each week, Serum burns SRM equivalent to four-fifths of the exchange’s revenue, and gives the rest to SRM stakers.

How does Serum work?

Serum is a decentralized exchange based on the Solana blockchain. Rather than relying on the automated market maker model made popular by Uniswap and Curve, which facilitates token swaps from huge reserves of tokens called liquidity pools, Serum relies on an order book.

Order books match buyers with sellers. Place an order to sell $10 worth of SOL for USDC and Serum will pair the trade with someone who wants to buy $10 worth of SOL for USDC. Centralized crypto exchanges, like FTX and Binance, operate this way.

This model doesn’t work so well on the Ethereum blockchain, where a single trade can easily cost $100 in times of network congestion. Solana is cheaper; trades on Serum cost $0.00002 in gas.

SRM is Serum’s governance token. It also entitled holders to reduced trading fees on Serum, and those that stakes SRM on Serum also receive 20% of fees on the platform.

The protocol also has a second token, megaSerum (MSRM), that is required to run a staking node on Serum. It entitles holders to increased rewards and is created by locking up 1 million SRM tokens.

Serum key events and governance

Serum was created by the Serum Foundation. Among its most notable members are crypto trading firm Alameda Research and crypto exchange FTX. Both were founded by multi-billionaire Sam Bankman-Fried, a major Solana investor.

Serum raised $20 million in a private seed round and $660,000 in two token sales on FTX and BitMax.

While Serum is native to Solana, SRM also trades as an ERC-20 token on Ethereum. Serum integrated with Solana’s cross-chain bridge, Wormhole. In November 2019, Serum partnered with Raydium to provide additional liquidity to the hybrid decentralized exchange (DEX).


Market Analysis
Social Analysis

Trending Assets

Bitcoin Calculator

Last Updated on 08/13/22 6:26 AM

CoinDesk’s Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Calculator determines the exchange rates between major fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies – including BTC, BCH, ETH and XRP to USD, EUR, GBP, IDR and NGN – with up to six decimal places of accuracy. Conversion rates are based on CoinDesk’s Bitcoin Price Index and the price indices of other digital assets. World currency prices are based on rates obtained via Open Exchange Rates.


Latest About Serum

CoinDesk - Unknown
Jump Trading Invests in Decentralized Exchange Serum, Signs On as Market Maker

Secretive market maker Jump Trading has made an undisclosed investment into decentralized exchange Serum, which only launched last week.

CoinDesk - Unknown

Research Reports

All

Diving in deeper on cryptocurrency.

CoinDesk - Unknown
CoinDesk 2021 Annual Crypto Review

Thanks to 2021 most people have at least heard of crypto by now not just Bitcoin and Ethereum but altcoins like DOGE and SHIB as well as terms like NF Ts and the metaverse In Coin Desk Research’s 2021 Annual Crypto Review we aim to summarize some of the key themes and metrics that marked [...]

CoinDesk - Unknown
CoinDesk - Unknown
Building on the News: Introducing Layer 2 by CoinDesk

Our new digital magazine goes beyond the daily headlines to put crypto and blockchain developments in perspective.

CoinDesk - Unknown

Disclaimer
Any data, text or other content on this page is provided as general market information and not as investment advice. Past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future results. CoinDesk is an independently managed media company, wholly owned by the Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. DCG has no operational input into the selection or duration of CoinDesk content in all its forms.